Subscribing to a Listserv List
Document ID 648
Subscribing to a Listserv list at TAMU is a relatively simple process. If the list is configured to allow subscription requests (i.e., it is not set to CLOSED) then you can initiate the subscription yourself. Here's how:
1. Send an e-mail to the Listserv server from the address at which you want to receive the e-mail by e-mailing email@example.com.
2. In the body of the e-mail, include the following command:
SUB listname Full Name
- Replace "listname" with the exact name of the Listserv list to which you're subscribing. If the listname is "firstname.lastname@example.org", then you would use some_list here.
- Replace "Full Name" with your first and last names, separated by a space.
3. You will receive a confirmation message based on the nature of the list. There are several possibilities:
- If the list is set to OPEN, you will get a notice that you have been subscribed to the list successfully.
- If the list is set to OPEN, CONFIRM, you will get a notice asking you either to reply or click a URL provided in order to confirm the request actually originated from you. After following these directions, you will get a confirmation notice that you have been subscribed successfully to the list.
- If the list is set to BY OWNER, your subscription request will be forwarded to the owner of the list for approval. Once approved, you should get a confirmation or welcome message from the list that you have been subscribed successfully.
- If the list is set to CLOSED, the list owner has established that no one may subscribe to the list, and the Listserv server will reply to you that you must contact the list owner directly about subscription requirements.
1. I subscribed to a list, but I can't send to it.
The ability to send to and receive email from a Listserv list is controlled by your email address. Sending from a different email account, or from the same email account with a different From: address, will cause Listserv to block access to that list. Make sure you are sending messages from the same address with which you are subscribed to a list. Also be aware that you may have subscribed to different lists with different addresses (NetID@tamu.edu and NetID@neo.tamu.edu for example).
2. I changed my email address and no longer send to or receive email from a list.
See above for why you are unable to send or receive email.
3. Do I need to unsubscribe and resubscribe if I have changed my address, or if I subscribed with the wrong address?
No. You can update your subscribed address via the following process:
- Log into http://listserv.tamu.edu/ (information on setting up a Listserv password can be found here) using the old address with which you are subscribed
- Click on Subscriber's Corner from the choices at the top of the page
- Click on the Settings link beside the name of the list for which you want to change your subscribed email address
- On the next page, you will see all of your subscription settings, including your name and your email address. Enter your new email address here.
- Click on Update Options.
- You will see a message at the top of the window that says
- A confirmation request is being mailed to your new address (New Address). For security reasons, the change will not be made until it has been confirmed from the new address. Simply wait for the confirmation request to arrive, then follow the instructions to confirm the change of address.
- Check the inbox of your new address. You should receive an email subject line of "Command confirmation request" followed by a randomly generated number. That message will contain a message similar to the following
- Your command:
CHANGE LISTNAME New Address
requires confirmation. To confirm the execution of your command, simply click on the following link:
Alternatively, if you have no WWW access, you can reply to this message and type OK as the text of your message. If you receive an error message, try sending a new message to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.TAMU.EDU (without using the "reply" function) and type OK RandomNumber as the text of your message.
- Your command:
- Use either method to confirm your address change. Either click the provided link, copy and paste the link into a new web browser window, or reply to the message with OK RandomNumber as the message text. Once Listserv receives confirmation, your subscription address will be changed.
- Once your address has been changed, then you will no longer be able to see that list in the Subscriber's Corner until you log into Listserv with the new address.
If you have any further questions, please email email@example.com or call us at 979-845-8300.