How to Use TAMUDirect
Document ID 1108
TAMUDirect mailing lists provide a convenient way for authorized individuals to send email to specific groups of recipients within the Texas A&M University community. TAMUDirect uses Sympa, a mailing list software, to verify an email's authenticity and distribute the message to target recipients.
To use TAMUDirect, identify the correct list for mailing to the desired audience. Send the message to the list using your usual email program. Sympa mailing list software asks you to verify the message is authentic. If you approve the message, it is sent to the list's recipients.
Logging In to TAMUDirect
1. Go to https://tamudirect.tamu.edu. Click Log In to TAMUDirect [fig. 01].
[fig. 01 - Log In to TAMUDirect]
2. Enter your Net ID and your Net ID password and click Login [fig. 02].
[fig. 02 - Log in with your NetID and password]
Finding the Desired List
The TAMUDirect Dashboard displays the mailing lists you are authorized to use.
1. If you are authorized to use more than one type of list, the lists are separated into sections in the application. If you teach courses and are also a moderator for the department's lists, view lists by clicking Course Lists or Department Lists [fig. 03].
[fig. 03 - TAMUDirect dashboard]
2. Mailing lists are completely collapsed by default to expand them, click the arrow button or Expand All to view more [fig. 04].
[fig. 04 - Expand all]
3. To hide the lists, click the arrow button or Collapse All.
Note: If you use these mailing lists frequently, save list email addresses as contacts in your email client. This will give you easy access to these lists without having to log in to TAMUDirect.
Viewing Information about a Mailing List
Information about a list is displayed immediately below the list name. The last names of moderators and the number of recipients in the list are displayed.
1. If the list has at least one email recipient, a link to view addresses for recipients also appears [fig. 04].
[fig. 04 - View mailing list information]
2. For course mailing lists: Authorized users can view student email recipient names, UINs and individual email addresses. Click the View recipient addresses link to see a table with email recipient names, UINs, primary majors, classifications and individual email addresses.
3. For college and department student lists only: Authorized users can view email recipient names, UINs and individual email addresses, as well as download email recipient names and permanent mailing addresses for postal mailings of official communications.
4. Click the View recipient addresses link to see a table with email recipient names, UINs and individual email addresses.
5. Click View Permanent Addresses, which displays the email recipients' permanent mailing addresses instead of their individual email addresses. A link to download the permanent mailing addresses is provided on this page.
6. To return to the email address page, click View Email Addresses.
Sending a Message to a List
1. If using an email program such as Microsoft Outlook, click the envelope button to the right of the list name or click the list address. This opens a new email message in your default email program. The "To:" field is automatically populated with the list address [fig. 05].
[fig. 05 - Sending a message with an email program]
2. If using a webmail client such as Texas A&M Email (Neo) or Gmail, open a new message and copy the list's email address to the "To:" field. You may want to save the email address in the "Contacts" list of your webmail client for future easy access [fig. 06].
[fig. 06 - Sending a message with a webmail client]
3. Complete the subject and body of the email, and send the message.
Note: Bulk email messages should not include attachments. They slow down delivery time and unnecessarily consume storage space on servers. Instead, the email should contain a brief message with a link to a web page for any additional information. Alternatively, use Filex, a service for transferring files too large to send via email. See information about Filex.
Verifying a Message
Messages sent to mailing lists need to be approved by a list moderator before they are actually sent to recipients.
1. Sympa, the mailing list software, sends an acknowledgement that the email was received to the sender (except for users of "Course lists").
2. Sympa sends a "distribute/reject" message to all list moderators at their "@tamu.edu" email address. The submitted email is attached to this message for review.
3. The moderator approves or rejects the message. If the moderator is using an email program such as Microsoft Outlook, click one of the mailto: links to distribute or reject the message [fig. 07]
[fig. 07 - Distribute/reject message from Sympa]
4. If the moderator is using a webmail client, such as Texas A&M Email (Neo), open a new message and address it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy the DISTRIBUTE mylist… text from the Sympa email into the subject field to approve the message [fig. 08].
[fig. 08 - Webmail Distribute Format]
5. To reject the message, copy the REJECT mylist… text into the subject field. Leave the message body empty and send the email [fig. 09].
[fig. 09 - Webmail Reject Format]
6. If one of the moderators responds to the distribute/reject request with an approval, the message is distributed and the moderator is notified [fig. 10].
[fig. 10 - Distributed message notification]
7. If one of the moderators responds to the distribute/reject request with a rejection, the message is deleted and the sender is notified [fig. 11].
[fig. 11 - Rejection message notification]
8. If a list has more than one moderator and a message is approved by one moderator but rejected by a different moderator, Sympa processes the message according to the first command it receives. Any moderators responding to the distribute/reject message other than the initial responder receive a notice similar to [fig. 12].
[fig. 12 - Unable to process command notification]
Messages are stored for 14 days. If a list moderator has not responded with an approval or rejection during that time, the message is deleted.
The acknowledgement or confirmation request should be received within 15 minutes of sending a message to a list if your "@tamu.edu" mail is sent to an on-campus address.
Note: At the beginning and end of the semester, network traffic may be heavy and the response time slightly longer.
If you have any further questions, please email email@example.com or call us at 979.845.8300.