DNS Settings in Windows XP
Document ID 579
This document explains how to change your Domain Name System (DNS) server addresses in Windows XP to match the updated TAMU DNS server addresses. This document will only be applicable if all of the following are true:
Your computer is located on-campus, or you use TAMU as your Internet Service Provider (ISP);
Your computer is currently configured to use a static IP address;
You have not previously configured your computer to use a departmental or non-TAMU DNS server.
Note: If you are unsure whether these instructions apply to you, contact your network administrator or Help Desk Central.
1. Double-click on the My Computer icon located either on your "Desktop" or in your "Start" menu.
2. Click on the Folder Up button outlined in red below [fig. 01].
[fig. 01 - My Computer]
3. Right-click on the My Network Places icon and then click Properties [fig. 02].
[fig. 02 - Properties]
4. Right-click on Local Area Connection and then click Properties [fig. 03].
[fig. 03 - Network Connections]
5. In the "General" tab, find the section entitled "This connection uses he following items:" and scroll down until you see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) once. Be sure the item still has a check mark next to it and then click on the Properties button [fig. 04].
[fig. 04 - LAC Properties]
6. Click on the Advanced... button [fig. 05].
[fig. 05 - Advanced Tab]
7. Click on the DNS tab.
8. Under the "DNS server addresses, in order of use:" section, highlight each entry and click on the Remove button until this section is empty [fig. 06].
[fig. 06 - Remove Each DNS Address]
9. Click Add... and enter the following new DNS server addresses. You will have to click Add... to enter each new address in the following order [fig. 07].
[fig. 07 - Add DNS Server Addresses]
10. Click OK three times on each of the open windows.
11. Your computer is now correctly configured to use the new TAMU DNS server addresses.
If you have any further questions, please email email@example.com or call us at 979.845.8300.