DNS Settings in Windows XP
Document ID 579
This document explains how to change your Domain Name System (DNS) server addresses in Windows XP to match the updated TAMU DNS server addresses. This document will only be applicable if all of the following are true:
- Your computer is located on-campus, or you use TAMU as your Internet Service Provider (ISP);
- Your computer is currently configured to use a static IP address;
- You have not previously configured your computer to use a departmental or non-TAMU DNS server.
If you are unsure whether these instructions apply to you, contact your network administrator or Help Desk Central at (979) 845-8300. Configuring DNS
- Double-click on the My Computer icon located either on your Desktop or in your Start Menu.
- Click on the Folder Up button outlined in red below (Figure 1).
Figure 1: Open My Computer
- Right-click on the My Network Places icon and then click Properties (Figure 2).
Figure 2: Right-click on My Network Places and choose Properties
- Right-click on Local Area Connection and then click Properties.
Figure 3: Right-click on Local Area Connection and choose Properties
- In the General tab, find the section entitled "This connection uses he following items:" and scroll down until you see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) once. Be sure the item still has a check mark next to it and then click on the Properties button.
Figure 4: Choose Properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Click on the Advanced... button (Figure 5).
Figure 5: Click on the Advanced Button
- Click on the DNS tab.
- Under the section entitled "DNS server addresses, in order of use:", highlight each entry and click on the Remove button until this section is empty (Figure 6).
Figure 6: Remove each DNS server address
- Click Add... and enter the following new DNS server addresses. You will have to click Add... to enter each new address (Figure 7).
Figure 7: Add DNS server addresses
Enter the addresses in this order :
Figure 8: Entering the new DNS server addresses.
- Click OK three times on each of the open windows.
- Your computer is now correctly configured to use the new TAMU DNS server addresses.
For further assistance, please contact Help Desk Central any time by calling (979)845-8300 or e-mailing email@example.com.