Newsgroups in Windows Live Mail
Document ID 843
Texas A&M University hosts a Usenet News service to which A&M affiliates may subscribe and participate. The TAMU newsgroups exist to facilitate discussion of topics related to Texas A&M. This document addresss how to add a newsgroup account to Windows Live Mail.
Note: The News service can only be accessed by users 'on-campus.' If you are off-campus and wish to use the service, you will need to connect to our VPN server first. Instructions for this can be found here.
1. From within Windows Live Mail, click Newsgroups in the bottom left corner, and select the Add a newsgroup account option that appears above it in the left-side pane.
2. For "Display Name," type in the name which you want to appear in your posts and e-mails, then click Next [fig. 01].
[fig. 01 - Display Name]
3. Next, type the e-mail address that you want to use. This will appear in the "From:" field for your posts, and will also serve as your "Reply to:" address. Then click Next [fig. 02].
[fig. 02 - Email Address]
4. The "News server:" is news.tamu.edu. Do not check My news server requires me to log on. Click Next to proceed [fig. 03].
[fig. 03 - Typing the News Server]
5. In the next screen, choose Finish. You will then be presented with the "Windows Live Mail" screen. Click Yes [fig. 04].
[fig. 04 - Listing the Available Newsgroups]
6. You can either search by keyword (tamu for example), or browse through the listing. To subscribe to a particular one, simply highlight it and choose Subscribe on the right [fig. 05].
[fig. 05 - Newsgroup Subscriptions]
7. Once you are finished subscribing, click OK. There should now be a section in the left-hand pane that says "news.tamu.edu," with subsections for your subscribed groups.
If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 979.845.8300.