Newsgroups in Windows Live Mail
Document ID 843
Texas A&M University hosts a Usenet News service to which A&M affiliates may subscribe and participate. The TAMU newsgroups exist to facilitate discussion of topics related to Texas A&M.
Note:The screens used for demonstration purposes in this document are from Microsoft Windows XP. Clients installed on previous and post versions of the Windows operating system should follow the same steps, despite cosmetic differences.
The News service can only be accessed by users 'on-campus.' If you are off-campus and wish to use the service, you will need to connect to our VPN server first. Instructions for this can be found at here.
Adding the Newsgroup Account
1. From within Windows Live Mail, click the Newsgroups button in the bottom left corner, and select the Add a newsgroup account option that appears above it in the left-side pane.
2. For Display Name, type in the name which you want to appear in your posts and e-mails, and click Next [fig. 1].
[fig. 1 - Display Name]
3. Next, type the e-mail address that you want to use. This will appear in the "From:" field for your posts, and will also serve as your "Reply to: address". Click Next [fig. 2].
[fig. 2 - Email Address]
4. The News server is news.tamu.edu. Do not check the box that says "My news server requires me to log on". Click Next to proceed [fig. 3].
[fig. 3 - Typing the News Server]
5. In the next screen, choose Finish. A screen similar to the one below should appear. Click Yes [fig. 4].
[fig. 4 - Listing the Available Newsgroups]
6. You can either search by keyword ('tamu' for instance), or browse through the listing. To subscribe to a particular one, simply highlight it and choose Subscribe on the right [fig. 5].
[fig. 5 - Subscribing to Newsgroups]
7. Once you are finished subscribing, click OK.
There should now be a section in the left-hand pane that says news.tamu.edu, with subsections for your subscribed groups.