Connecting Ubuntu To Tamulink WPA
Document ID 1255
TAMULink, a service of Texas A&M Information Technology, is Texas A&M's campus wireless network that provides Internet and network access on the go. TAMULink primarily uses Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) for greater security and easier access for Texas A&M faculty, staff, and students. This documentation will show you how to configure Ubuntu 11.10 in order to connect to the TAMULink-WPA wireless network.
1. With your wireless radio turned on, click on the network icon at the top right of your screen. In the pull down menu that appears, select TAMULink-wpa in the section that shows the available wireless networks.[fig. 1]
[fig. 1 - Network Icon -> TAMULink-wpa]
2. A prompt requesting information necessary to connect to TAMULink-WPA should appear. The following settings are currently necessary to connect to the TAMULink-wpa wireless network [fig 2].
Wireless Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
Authentication:Protected EAP (PEAP)
Anonymous Identity: *Leave Blank*
CA Certificate: AddTrust_External_Root.pem (Can usually be found in /etc/ssl/certs)
PEAP version: Version 0 or Auto
Inner Authentication: MSCHAPv2
Password: NetID Password
[fig. 2 - Configuring the TAMULink-WPA connection]
3. If all is well and you were able to get connect, you should see the signal strength of the access point you are connected to in the icon at the top right of your screen. You may also bet a notification indicating that the connection was established [fig. 3].
[fig. 3 - Connection Established]
You can use the following steps to modify an existing TAMULink-wpa connection:
4.If you have already attempted to connect to TAMULink-WPA in the passed or if you need to change any settings that may no longer be valid(commonly the certificate) you can do so by clicking on the Network Icon and clicking on Edit Connections...[fig. 4]
[fig. 4 - Network Icon -> Edit Connections...]
5. Once Network Connections is open, go the the Wireless tab, select the entry for Tamulink-wpa and select Edit...[fig. 5]
[fig. 5 - Editing previously configured connection]
6. The following settings are currently necessary to connect to the TAMULink-wpa wireless network [fig. 6].
[fig. 6 - Editing previously configured TAMULink-wpa connection]