Setting Up TAMULink-WPA for Mac OS X 10.5
Document ID 833
1. Open System Preferences and go to your Network Preference pane. System Preferences can be accessed by clicking the icon in your Dock [fig. 1], choosing "System Preferences" from the apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen, or by clicking the System Preferences icon in your Applications folder.
[fig. 1 - System Preferences icon in the Dock]
2. In the Network Preference pane, select Airport from the connections list on the left [fig. 2] and then click on the Advanced... button in the lower right of that window.
[fig. 2 - Airport options in the Network Preference pan]
3. If you are using OS X 10.5.4 or later, please skip to Step 3a. If you are using OS X 10.5.0 through 10.5.3, please do the following. In the Advanced dialogue [fig. 3], choose 802.1x from the tabs at the top. In the 802.1x options, make sure that the State: on the left side of the window is set to "802.1x login is enabled." If you do not have this message, click the button that says "Enable 802.1x Login." In the field labeled Wireless Network: enter "TAMULink-WPA". In the box labeled Authentication, make sure that check marks are next to TTLS, LEAP, PEAP and MD5. You can click on and drag these names to put them into the proper order. Click OK once these changes are made.
[fig. 3 - 802.1x Advanced dialogue for OS X 10.5.0 - 10.5.3]
3a. For individuals using 10.5.4 or later, please do the following: In the Advanced dialogue [fig. 3a], choose 802.1x from the tabs at the top. You should have a User Profile listed on the left side of this window. If you do not, click the plus sign on the lower left to add a User Profile. Name this profile "WPA: TAMULink-wpa." On the right side of the window, enter your NetID as your User Name and enter your NetID Password for Password. In the Authentication window, enable PEAP, TTLS and EAP-FAST. If they do not appear in the order shown in figure 3a, you can click and drag them into that order. Click OK to save these changes. Contrary to the screen shot, you do NOT need a check in TLS.
[fig. 3a - 802.1x Advanced dialogue for OS X 10.5.4 and later]
4. After entering these settings, go to the Airport icon in your menu bar and connect to TAMULink-WPA. You will be prompted for a username and password for the network "TAMULink-wpa" [fig. 4]. Enter your NetID and NetID Password in these fields.
[fig. 4 - Network login prompt]
5. You will be presented with an 802.1x authentication certificate option [fig. 5]. Click on Show Certificate.
[fig. 5 - Authentication certificate]
6. Place a check mark in the box next to Always trust "net.tamu.edu" [fig. 6] and then click on Continue.
[fig. 6 - Security Certificate]
7. You may get a window asking "eaptlstrust requires that you type your password" [fig. 7]. Eaptlstrust is a part of Mac OS X 10.5 which handles parts of the authentication process in WPA. Enter your local computer login name and password and click OK. This warning should only occur when you first set up your WPA connection.
[fig. 7 - eaptlstrust log in]
8. You may also get a box asking to allow eapolclient to use confidential information stored in "WPA: TAMULink-wpa" in your keychain [fig. 8]. Choose Always Allow. This will allow your WPA connection to use your WPA password automatically each time you attempt to connect to this network. This warning should only occur when you set up your WPA connection and when you change your NetID password.
[fig. 8 - eapolclient warning]
For further assistance, please contact Help Desk Central any time by calling (979)845-8300 or e-mailing email@example.com.