Configuring AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
Document ID 797
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is a virus protection software available free of charge to home users. The software is provided by Grisoft and can be downloaded at: http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=mncol.
This document explains how to manually update, create and edit scheduled scans and disable email scanning with AVG Ant-Virus Free Edition.
1. Double-click the AVG Free desktop icon to open the "AVG User Interface" [fig. 01].
[fig. 01 - AVG Free Icon]
2. You will now be presented with the "AVG Anti-Virus Free" home screen. Select Update Now from the list on the left side [fig. 02].
[fig. 02 - AVG Free Home Screen]
3. You will now be presented with a window showing the list of available updates. Click Update to continue [fig. 03].
[fig. 03 - AVG Updates]
4. After AVG has concluded the update process, you will be prompted to restart your computer to apply the changes. Press Restart Now, and you have successfully manually updated AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition.
Creating and Editing Scheduled Scans
1. On the "AVG Anti-Virus Free" home screen, click Manage Scheduled Scans under the "Computer Scanner" tab on the left side of the screen [fig. 04].
[fig. 04 - Computer Scanner Tab]
2. You will now be presented with a list of scheduled scans. There should be one scan scheduled by default, but you can remove it, edit it, or add others to suit your requirements [fig. 05].
[fig. 05 - Scheduled Scans]
Disabling Email Scanning
Occasionally the built-in email scanner will cause difficulties with certain email clients. If this occurs it might be advisable to disable it. To do so, please follow the steps below.
1. On the "AVG Anti-Virus Free" home screen, under the "Overview" tab, click Email Scanner.
2. Unselect Scan Incoming Messages.
3. Click Save Changes, to disable email scanning with "AVG Anti-Virus Free."
If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 979.845.8300.