Document ID 668
FileZilla is a free, open source, cross-platform FTP client. One of the built in features in FileZilla is the ability to use FTP over SSH. This allows you to transfer files to and from any server that supports the SFTP protocol (including people.tamu.edu) without having to use a VPN service. This Document will assist in: Downloading and Installing FileZilla, Setting up FileZilla, Connecting to "people.tamu.edu" and "tvmms1.tamu.edu."
Downloading and Installing FileZilla
1. Visit Filezilla's homepage located at http://filezilla.sourceforge.net
2. Click on the Download FileZilla Client link under the "Quick download links" [fig. 01].
[fig. 01 - FileZilla Client]
3. Select the latest version available (You will want to choose the .exe (32-bit Windows) version as indicated below) and save the file to your desktop [fig. 02].
[fig. 02 - Save File to Desktop]
4. Double click on the FileZilla installer located on your "Desktop" and click Run if prompted [fig. 03].
[fig. 03 - Icon]
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program. The default options will work fine and you will need to click Finish once the installation is completed.
Setting Up FileZilla to Access people.tamu.edu
1. In the "Start" menu, choose All Programs, FileZilla FTP Client then click Filezilla [fig. 04].
[fig. 04 - FileZilla Client]
2. Under the "File" drop-down menu, click Site Manager... [fig. 05].
[fig. 05 - Site Manager...]
3. Click New Site on the bottom left of the "Site Manager" window.
4. Type in a name for the new site (e.g. People) and hit Enter.
5. Enter the following information in the window [fig. 06]:
Servertype: SFTP – SSH File Transfer Protocol
User: Your NetID (This is the same username you use when you login at the Open Access Labs)
Password: Your NetID Password
[fig. 06 - Site Manager Information]
6. Click OK to save the server settings and close the "Site Manager" window.
Connecting to people.tamu.edu
1. Start FileZilla by clicking Start, then All Programs, then click FileZilla FTP Client and choose FileZilla.
2. Click on the down arrow next to the "Server Icon" at the top left window and click People [fig. 07].
[fig. 07 - Click People]
3. You will be prompted with an "unknown host key" dialogue box asking if you would like to "Trust the host and carry on connecting". Click OK on this box, if you do not wish to be bothered by this prompt again, check Always trust this host, add this key to the cache [fig. 08].
[fig. 08 - Trust the Host]
4. If the connection was successful you should see your files and folders listed on the right [fig. 09].
[fig. 09 - Successful Connection]
5. You can now drag and drop files between teh left and right sides of the windows.
6. You can access your people.tamu.edu website files by opening the ".public_html" directory.
Setting Up FileZilla to Access tvvms1.tamu.edu
1. Go to "FileZilla Site Manager" to create a new connection [fig. 10].
[fig. 10 - Site Manager]
2. Click New Site at the bottom left.
3. Type a name for the new site and hit Enter.
4. Enter in the following information into the window [fig. 11]:
Servertype: FTPES – FTP over explicit TLS/SSL
User: Your NetID
Password: Your NetID password
[fig. 11 - Configuring FileZilla]
5. To connect, click the Down arrow next to the small computer icon at the top left window and click vtam [fig. 12].
[fig. 12 - vtam]
6. While attempting to connect you will receive an "Unknown Certificate" prompt. Simply check Always trust certificate in future sessions and click OK to connect [fig. 13].
[fig. 13 - Unknown Certificate Prompt]
If you have any further questions, please email email@example.com or call us at 979.845.8300.