Setting Up TAMULink-WPA for Windows XP
Document ID 729
TAMULink-WPA is a new wireless network that allows for greater flexibility and security when accessing the campus wireless network. WPA utilizes the 802.1x wireless technology. This document will detail how to configure Windows XP to connect to this network.
1. From the "Start" menu, choose Control Panel and select Network and Internet Connections [fig. 01].
[fig. 01 - Select Network and Internet Connections]
2. In the "Network and Internet Connections" control panel, choose Network Connections [fig. 02].
[fig. 02 - Choose Network Connection]
3. On the left side of the "Network Connections" control panel, choose Create New Connection [fig. 03].
[fig. 03 - Click Create New Connection]
4. Click the link to view wireless networks in range to open the "Wireless Network Connections" control panel [fig. 04].
[fig. 04 - Click to View Wireless Networks in Range]
5. Click on Change Advanced Settings [fig. 05].
[fig. 05 - Click Change Advanced Settings]
6. In the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" box, choose the Wireless Networks tab and then click Add near the bottom [fig. 06].
[fig .06 - Wireless Network Connection Properties]
7. In the "Wireless Network Properties" window, choose the first tab labeled Association. In the "Network name (SSID)" field, enter tamulink-wpa. For "Network Authentication", choose WPA2-Enterprise from the pull-down menu. If "WPA2-Enterprise" is not available as an option, select WPA2 if it is listed or WPA if neither are available.
8. For "Data encryption", choose AES from the pull-down menu. Make sure there is not a checkmark next to This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are not used [fig. 07].
[fig. 07 - Wireless Network Properties: Association]
9. Choose the Authentication tab. For "EAP" type, choose Protected EAP(PEAP) from the pull-down menu. Make sure that neither checkbox below is checked. Then, click on the Properties box [fig 08].
[fig. 08 - Wireless Network Properties: Authenticaiton]
10. In the "Protected EAP Properties" box, check the box next to validate server certificate. Then, make sure to put a checkmark next to Enable Fast Reconnect.
11. Click the Configure [fig. 09].
[fig. 09 - Protected EAP Properties]
12. In the "EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties" box, remove the checkmark next to Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any) [fig. 10].
[fig. 10 - EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties]
13. Click OK to close the four windows you have open and to automatically save your settings.
14. Your computer should now attempt to automatically connect to the "tamulink-wpa" network if it is in range. If your settings are correct and the network is available, you should shortly be prompted to enter your credentials [fig. 11].
[fig. 11 - Use NetID and Password to Login]
15. For the "User name" and "Password," use your NetID and your NetID password. Leave the Logon domain blank.
Note: Be sure to enter your NetID in all lowercase characters.
16. Once you enter your login information and press OK, you should get a message asking you to validate a server certificate. Press OK again [fig. 12].
[fig. 12 - Validating Server Certificate]
If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 979.845.8300.