TAMULink-WPA for Windows 7
Document ID 952
TAMULink-WPA is a wireless network that allows for significant flexibility and security when accessing the campus wireless network. WPA utilizes the 802.1x wireless technology. This document will detail how to configure Windows 7 to connect to this network.
Automatic connection to tamulink-wpa - Method 1
To automatically configure tamulink-wpa, click here to download the file tamulink-wpa.exe. Once downloaded, you can double-click the file to automatically configure this wireless network.
Automatic connection to tamulink-wpa - Method 2
- Click the wireless icon in the bottom right of your "Desktop" screen [fig. 01].
[fig. 01 - Wireless Icon]
- You should now see a list of available connections to connect to. Choose tamulink-wpa and make sure the "Connect Automatically" box is checked. This will ensure that you will be connected the next time you are in range of "tamulink-wpa" [fig. 02].
[fig. 02 - Available Connections]
- You should now be attempting to connect to "tamulink-wpa." This could take a few minutes depending on your computer's speed and your distance to "tamulink-wpa" access point [fig. 03].
[fig. 03 - Connecting to TAMULink-WPA]
- When prompted, enter your NetID and your NetID Password. These are the same credentials that you use to log onto http://howdy.tamu.edu/ and http://email.tamu.edu/ [fig. 04].
[fig. 04 - Network Authentication]
- Once you have entered your login information, you may be shown a window warning that your connection attempt could not be completed. The message will indicate that you need to approve a new connection certificate. Choose Connect, and you should now be connected to "tamulink-wpa" [fig. 05].
[fig. 05 - Connect to a Network]
Manual Connection to tamulink-wpa
Windows 7 will often connect to tamulink-wpa automatically as in the instructions above. In some cases, however, you will need to manually configure your connection to TAMULink-WPA. If you get a screen informing you that you are unable to connect to TAMULink-WPA, close the screen and perform the following steps:
- Right click the wireless icon and choose Open Network and Sharing Center [fig. 06].
[fig. 06 - Network and Sharing Center]
- Click Manage wireless networks in the upper-left of this window. This will bring you to the list of wireless networks you have connected to [fig. 07].
[fig. 07 - List of Networks]
- This screen shows you a list of wireless connections to which you have connected previously. Look for any networks named "tamulink-wpa" or "tamulink-guest" and remove them. Once they are removed, click Add to create a new network connection [fig. 08].
[fig. 08 - Click Add]
- Choose Manually create a network profile from the choices [fig. 09].[fig. 09 - Manually create network profile]
- Enter in the following information [fig. 10]:
- Network name: tamulink-wpa
- Security type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption type: AES
- Security Key: Leave this field blank
- Check Start this connection automatically [fig 10]
[fig. 10 - Wireless Network Information]
- Click Next.
- Click Change Settings for this Connection.
- Go to the "Security" tab, then click Settings [fig. 11].
[fig. 11 - Wireless Network Properties]
- Click Configure [fig. 12].
[fig. 12 - Configure]
- Uncheck the box for automatically using the Windows logon information, then click OK [fig. 13].
[fig. 13 - Uncheck Box]
- Click OK on the "Protected EAP Properties" page.
- On the "tamulink-wpa Wireless Network Properties" page, click Advanced Settings [fig. 14].
[fig. 14 - Advanced Settings]
- Check the box for Specify Authentication Method [fig. 15].
[fig. 15 - Specify Authentication Method]
- Using the drop down menu, select User Authentication [fig. 16].
[fig. 16 - User Authentication]
- Click Save Credentials [fig. 17].
[fig. 17 - Save Credentials]
- Enter your NetID and password and click OK [fig. 18].
[fig. 18 - NetID and Password]
- You should now be able to connect to TAMULink-WPA. If presented with the same security alert as step 5, click Connect [fig. 05].
If you have any further questions, please email email@example.com or call us at 979.845.8300.